Saturday, June 11, 2011

Finally...Back to Blogging!




(This is going to be a long post with good and bad news, but please bear with me!)

Um...Hello? Is anyone out there?

It's been a year since I last posted. I mean, one school year. Last August I began university in Montreal, and that was when I last posted - as a happy little freshman, enjoying the first week of school and new found freedom. But it didn't stay long like that.

I think the reason as to why I stopped blogging is pretty obvious - school. Although I've always taken my studies very seriously, I used to think I was pretty good at balancing school and fun, and baking did use to be what I did to take a break. But being it university just doesn't permit you to do so. When everyone around you is really hardworking, it's so hard to not follow. I don't even remember exactly why 'school' suddenly became so important to me.


My first semester was just...sad. Being away from home for so long meant that I was really homesick - sometimes I didn't even have an appetite (this is very rare for me) and I was so stressed out that I lost a lot of weight (first time in a few years!). Blogging was nowhere near the top of my priorities when you have textbooks to read, assignments to complete, groceries to buy, dinner to cook, apartment to clean, laundry to do...and the list goes on. Not to mention the depressing snow storms that I'm not used to at all! 

But I'm glad that my second semester was a lot better, because the support of my family (through skype), my new friends as we got closer, my fellowship small group and of course, Jesus :) so I think I did manage to adapt to university life after all, and I got to know myself more. I really want to say a huge THANK YOU to those people who have been there for me for this past year - and you know who you are!


ANYHOW, I am now back in Hong Kong for summer! Which means - back to blogging! I sincerely apologize for the long hiatus! That's the good news, and now comes the bad:

A few days ago when I was Googling my blog's name (as I was too lazy to type in the url on my sister's computer), I came across a Facebook page, as I thought coincidentally, named "My Buttery Fingers" too. Being curious, I clicked the link...only to find a strangely familiar 'About Me' section.

I proceeded to click on the link to the blog itself...and I was just utterly speechless. The owner of the blog took the liberty of not only copying my blog name, but also my tagline, and the EXACT same About Me section, only replacing my name and age with her's...what the heck?!

This was me when I saw the words 'my buttery fingers' on that site.
I don't even know where to start. At the very least, I am extremely annoyed and upset about someone copying from my site. And come on, why would you even need to copy the About Me page?! I guess this person doesn't really know herself. Maybe I should feel sorry for her because she has zero creativity and brainpower to even write an introduction about herself?

I don't want to link that site, but if you want to see it for yourself a simple search on Google will lead you there. I already emailed the blog owner, only to get a reply with no sincere apology and even a sentence from her that sounded as if it was perfectly alright to copy MY work. She still has not changed or deleted the content copied from me, and has downright refused to change her blog name because she is, apparently a "legal business". Pft.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can or should do now? 

Well, I am certainly not going to shut down my blog just because a silly imposter has decided to copy my work. I just think that my readers should be aware that I am not the one plagiarizing (because I created this blog earlier than she did). I am going to continue and share my work as I have before on My Buttery Fingers, so watch out for new posts with delicious desserts and photos!

Thank you for your support! 

PS: My Buttery Fingers (this blog, the real one) now has a Facebook page! Feel free to go give it a 'Like' if you enjoy reading my blog :)

4 Responses to “Finally...Back to Blogging!”

E. said...

Welcome back! I'm sad to hear that first semester was terrible for you. However, I'm glad things started looking up in 2nd semester! Haha, I kind of hate calculus too. Here's a verse that you might like.
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
I tried finding that blog and I couldn't find it. Maybe it got reported? Well I sure hope so! I'm looking forward to your posts. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm so sorry about Uni and the blog imposter :(

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back! :) Sorry to hear that your first semester wasn't a good experience. I'm glad things are looking up! Looking forward to reading more! :) Oh, and wrt said blog imposter... she's just jealous. It's sad.

Annie Gleeson said...

There's a link at the bottom of the page where you can report the page - have done so as "spam/scam". There's nowhere to write a comment unfortunately, but hopefully if several people report the page Facebook will take it down.

Don't let it get you down though, your readers know the truth! :)

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin